SCSBA Council of School Attorneys (COSA) is a professional organization of the association dedicated to the advancement of education in the state. COSA’s mission consists of the following:
- To identify and discuss legal concerns for members to assist with the practice of education law.
- To provide a forum for the dissemination and analysis of legal information.
- To provide members the means to participate in the legislative discussions regarding education matters before the general assembly.
- To present continuing legal education opportunities throughout the year.
Membership consists of attorneys in private practice who represent school districts and education entities such as the state board of education, attorneys within the state department of education, attorneys employed as in-house counsel for school districts, and SCSBA staff attorneys.
It’s time to renew your membership in the South Carolina and National School Boards Association’s Council of School Attorneys. We are also accepting applications for new members. The calendar year for membership is July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020. Dues for the year are $280 for attorneys in private practice and $210 for in-house school district counsel (school district employees) and counsel for other government entities.
2019 Fall Legal Summit
The Fall Summit was held Friday, August 23, at the Embassy Suites North Charleston.
- A Litigator’s Toolkit: School Lawyer Edition
- FERPA Reheated, with a Side of SC
- Do you Have Any IDEA About the Special Education Matter in SC?
- The Opioid Crisis and Its Effect on Communities and Schools
- Identifying and Addressing Workplace Bullying
- The View from Washington: What Every School Lawyer Should Know
Special thanks to speakers
Alex Sherard, Esquire
Meredith Siebert, Esquire
Barbra Drayton, Esquire
Darra Coleman, Esquire
Allison Hanna, Esquire
Lisa Claxton, Esquire
Sonja Trainor, Esquire