SCSBA Council of School Attorneys (COSA) is a professional organization of the association dedicated to the advancement of education in the state. COSA’s mission consists of the following:
- To identify and discuss legal concerns for members to assist with the practice of education law.
- To provide a forum for the dissemination and analysis of legal information.
- To provide members the means to participate in the legislative discussions regarding education matters before the general assembly.
- To present continuing legal education opportunities throughout the year.
Membership consists of attorneys in private practice who represent school districts and education entities such as the state board of education, attorneys within the state department of education, attorneys employed as in-house counsel for school districts, and SCSBA staff attorneys.
It’s time to renew your membership in the South Carolina and National School Boards Association’s Council of School Attorneys. We are also accepting applications for new members. The calendar year for membership is July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018. Dues for the year are $280 for attorneys in private practice and $210 for in-house school district counsel (school district employees) and counsel for other government entities.
2018 Spring Legal Summit
The South Carolina Council of School Attorneys gathered Friday, March 16, at the SCSBA office for the Spring 2018 Legal Summit. Topics included:
- The #METOO Era and Sexual Harassment
- Lawyers as Employers and Supervisors
- Legislative Update
- Let’s Gobble and Talk Google Docs
- What’s that Smell? Canine Surveys and Combating Drug Abuse in the School Environment
- English Learner Students and the Legal Educational Obligations of Public Schools
Special thanks to speakers:
- Susan G. Williams, Esquire, Richland One School District
- Malissa Burnette, Esquire, Burnette Shutt & McDaniel, P.A.
- Emily Heatwole, South Carolina Department of Education
- Lindsay Anne Thompson, Esquire, Georgetown County School District
- Kierra N. Brown, Esquire, Boykin & David, LLC
- Kenneth Generette, Esquire, Horry County School District