SCSBA Council of School Attorneys
SCSBA Council of School Attorneys (COSA) is a professional organization of the association dedicated to the advancement of education in the state. COSA’s mission consists of the following:
- To identify and discuss legal concerns for members to assist with the practice of education law.
- To provide a forum for the dissemination and analysis of legal information.
- To provide members the means to participate in the legislative discussions regarding education matters before the general assembly.
- To present continuing legal education opportunities throughout the year.
Membership consists of attorneys in private practice who represent school districts and education entities such as the state board of education, attorneys within the state department of education, attorneys employed as in-house counsel for school districts, and SCSBA staff attorneys.
It’s time to renew your membership in the South Carolina and National School Boards Association’s Council of School Attorneys. We are also accepting applications for new members. The calendar year for membership is July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021. Dues for the year are $295 for attorneys in private practice and $225 for in-house school district counsel (school district employees) and counsel for other government entities.
2020 Spring Legal Summit – POSTPONED
The South Carolina Council of School Attorneys originally scheduled for Friday, March 27th HAS BEEN POSTPONED. Please check back for rescheduling information.
Topics will include:
- Employee Health and Wellness: FMLA, Leave Banks, and Mental Health in a K-12 Setting
Presenters: Christy Graham, Esquire, Dorchester School District Two; David Lyon, Esquire, Duff, Freeman & Lyon
- Legislative Update
Presenter: Debbie Elmore, SC School Boards Association
- Sex Offenders in Schools
Presenters: Lindsay Anne Thompson, Esquire, Georgetown County School District; Doug Webb, Esquire, Greenville County School District
- An Ethical Divide: Where Do Board Members Stand?
Presenter: Tara McCall, Esquire, SC School Boards Association
- Help! I have a Crazy Client…What Now?
Presenters: Leslie Armstrong, Esquire, Armstrong Family Law; Helen E. Wheeler, Center for Families
- Litigating Title IX Sexual Harassment Claims
Presenters: Thomas K. Barlow, Esquire, Halligan, Mahoney, & Williams, PA; Jasmine R. Drain, Esquire, Halligan, Mahoney, & Williams, PA
Location: Training Center, SCSBA office, Columbia, SC
Attendees: Open to COSA members only
Purpose: A forum to exchange ideas and collaborate on relevant education issues.
CLE credit: Will be available.
- Click here to download 2020 Spring Legal Summit agenda.
For directions from your location, please click here (opens in new window). If you are interested in staying in Columbia overnight, there are two hotels less than 5 minutes away: