SCSBA Council of School Attorneys (COSA) is a professional organization of the association dedicated to the advancement of education in the state. COSA’s mission consists of the following:
- To identify and discuss legal concerns for members to assist with the practice of education law.
- To provide a forum for the dissemination and analysis of legal information.
- To provide members the means to participate in the legislative discussions regarding education matters before the general assembly.
- To present continuing legal education opportunities throughout the year.
Membership consists of attorneys in private practice who represent school districts and education entities such as the state board of education, attorneys within the state department of education, attorneys employed as in-house counsel for school districts, and SCSBA staff attorneys.
It’s time to renew your membership in the South Carolina and National School Boards Association’s Council of School Attorneys. We are also accepting applications for new members. The calendar year for membership is July 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017. Dues for the year are $265 for attorneys in private practice and $195 for in-house school district counsel (school district employees) and counsel for other government entities.
COSA membership is open to attorneys who are licensed to practice law and who represent a local school district. This national forum for school attorneys supports the exchange of information on the complex legal problems confronting local public schools. The Council strives to help attorneys representing public school clients by promoting preventive school law practice through timely information and practical assistance. COSA also encourages ongoing education of school attorneys by sponsoring accredited Continuing Legal Education programs. Visit the NSBA COSA home page and this website to receive up-to-date information.
Members will receive NSBA publications as well as the following SCSBA publications:
- E-focus (bi-weekly electronic newsletter)
- Daily e-clippings (including legislative updates during session)
- Legislative Update (published bi-weekly during the SC legislative session)
Legal alerts and information that are mailed out during the year.
To renew your membership, please fill out this form and return with your check payable to SC Council of School Attorneys.
2016 Fall Legal Summit
The Fall Summit was held Friday, August 26, at the Charleston Marriott. Presentations may be downloaded here (password required).
- Student Discipline and Related Issues in the Evolving 21st Century
- Faith and Freedom: Religion in public schools
- A Loaded Question: What are the limits on a school district’s power to regulate guns on campuses?
- Special Education Law Update
- SCHAC & EEOC Complaints: Exhausting the administrative remedy
- Federal Update
Special thanks to speakers:
- Doug Webb, Esquire, Greenville County School District
- Thomas Barlow, Esquire, Childs & Halligan, PA
- David Lyon, Esquire, Duff, White, & Turner, LLC
- Andrea White, Esquire, Duff, White, & Turner, LLC
- Barbara Drayton, Esquire, SC State Department of Education
- Alex Pate, Esquire, SC Human Affairs Commission
- Lee Ann Rice, Esquire, SC Human Affairs Commission
- Sonja Trainor, Esquire, National School Boards Association