SCSBA Council of School Attorneys (COSA) is a professional organization of the association dedicated to the advancement of education in the state. COSA’s mission consists of the following:
- To identify and discuss legal concerns for members to assist with the practice of education law.
- To provide a forum for the dissemination and analysis of legal information.
- To provide members the means to participate in the legislative discussions regarding education matters before the general assembly.
- To present continuing legal education opportunities throughout the year.
Membership consists of attorneys in private practice who represent school districts and education entities such as the state board of education, attorneys within the state department of education, attorneys employed as in-house counsel for school districts, and SCSBA staff attorneys.
It’s time to renew your membership in the South Carolina and National School Boards Association’s Council of School Attorneys. We are also accepting applications for new members. The calendar year for membership is July 1, 2021 through June 30, 2022. Dues for the year are $310 for attorneys in private practice and $240 for in-house school district counsel (school district employees) and counsel for other government entities.
2020 VIRTUAL LEGAL SUMMIT
The South Carolina Council of School Attorneys will convene virtually Friday, November 20th, for the 2020 Virtual Legal Summit.
- The View from Washington: School Law in a Post-Election World
Presenter: Sonja Trainor, Esquire, National School Boards Association
- Employee Health and Wellness: FMLA, Leave Banks, and Mental Health in a K-12 Setting
Presenters: Christy Graham, Esquire, Dorchester School District Two
David Lyon, Esquire, Duff, Freeman & Lyon
- Litigating Title IX Sexual Harassment Claims
Presenters: Thomas K. Barlow, Esquire, Halligan, Mahoney, & Williams
Jasmine R. Drain, Esquire, Halligan, Mahoney, & Williams
- Adams v. McMaster: The Constitutionality of School Vouchers and the Future Implications for Public Education
Presenters: Derek Black, Esquire, University of South Carolina School of Law
John M. Reagle, Esquire, Halligan, Mahoney, & Williams
- Legislative Update
Presenter: Debbie Elmore, SC School Boards Association
Date: Friday, November 20, 2020
Time: 8:50 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Attendees: Open to COSA members only
Purpose: A forum to exchange ideas and collaborate on relevant education issues.
CLE credit: Will be available.