Because school law matters
School districts are often confronted with complicated and time-sensitive legal concerns. SCSBA’s staff attorney is here to help your district navigate the sometimes bumpy terrain. Services include:
- Over-the-phone response to routine questions from board chairs and superintendents.
- Consultation on broad questions relating to parliamentary procedure, school board pay, fiscal autonomy and local laws affecting districts. Questions should be submitted in writing via mail, fax, or email. In certain cases, the staff attorney may advise the requestor to contact the SC Ethics Commission or the SC Office of Attorney General for an opinion.*
- Counsel to school boards in dismissal or expulsion hearings when the district’s attorney is presenting the administration’s case.
- On-site training for boards and administrative staff on current policy and legal issues.
* SCSBA does not provide counsel to individual parents, students, administrators, or school board members as we serve the school board as a whole and the district.
For more information, contact Dr. Tiffany N. Richardson.