School Law Conference
August 19-20, 2017 | Myrtle Beach/Marriott at Grande Dunes
An essential part of school board service is understanding how state and federal laws affect public education. From legal procedures and regulations to new legislation aimed at boosting student achievement, school-related law is constantly changing – and it is important for school board leaders to have the latest insights and information. The SCSBA School Law Conference presents a slate of legal experts and policymakers who provide up-to-date analysis and guide board members through the often complicated terrain of school policy and law.
Registration is now open. To register online, please click here.
Registration fee: $195, non-members $395
Cancellation deadline: Aug 3
Myrtle Beach/Marriott at Grande Dunes
Hotel rate: $139
Hotel deadline: July 17, 2017
Hotel room block opens June 27 at 8:30 a.m. To make room reservations, please choose one of the following procedures. Reservations will not be accepted prior 8:30 a.m. on June 27.
- Call 800.228.9290 – You must use the group code BALBALA when making reservations.
- Click to make online reservations – Book your group rate for SCSBA School Law Conference 2017. There is a limit of 3 reservations per log in.
Board members will receive 15 points and 7 hours of credit for attendance and participation.
2016 School Law Conference handouts
- 2016 Conference agenda
- 2016 Conference brochure
- 2016 Conference speakers
- 2016 handout: SRO Task Force video (opens YouTube window)
- 2016 handout: Transgender Rights – S. Eubanks
- 2016 handout: FLSA New Regulations – A. Story
- 2016 handout: Human Resources 101 – K. Mahoney, V. Williams
- 2016 handout: Overtime factsheet – A. Story
- 2016 handout: Transgender Students in Schools – D. Duff
- 2016 handout: SEC – F. Heizer
- 2016 handout: ESSA – S. Quinn
- 2016 handout: First Amendmen – A. White, D. Lyon
- 2016 handout: Federal Update – S. Trainor
- 2016 handout: Task Force Final Report – T. Richardson
- 2016 handout: School Safety PL-02-R43-210 – T. Richardson
- 2016 handout: School Safety PL-03-R43-279 – T. Richardson
- 2016 handout: Safe School Task Force – T. Richardson
- 2016 handout: School Safety SROs – J. Ryan
- 2016 handout: Special Ed Update – B. Drayton
- 2016 handout: Legislative Update – D. Elmore
- 2016 handout: Impact Fees – T. DuBose
2015 School Law Conference handouts
- 2015 Conference agenda
- 2015 Conference speakers
- 2015 Conference brochure
- 2015 handout: Medical Marijuana and Schools – C. Laster
- 2015 handout: Abbeville County School District v. State of SC – L. Hart
- 2015 handout: Examining the “T” in LGBTQIA – M. Hazel
- 2015 handout: Educator Misconduct Overview – W. Cartledge
- 2015 handout: Looking Back and Looking Ahead – D. Elmore
- 2015 handout: Federal overview and court update – F. Negron
- 2015 handout: Beyond the Basics flyer
- 2015 handout: Transgender students – L. Thompson
2014 School Law Conference handouts (archive)
- 2014 Conference agenda and floorplan
- 2014 Conference brochure
- 2014 handout: South Carolina’s Legal Battle to Preserve IDEA Funding – S. Kelly
- 2014 handout: Think Your Way to Success – S. Redfield
- 2014 handout: Legal Updates & Trends for 2014-2015 – A. Hanna, K. Blackburn
- 2014 handout: A View from Inside the Beltway – F. Negron, Jr.
- 2014 handout: Thinking Your Way to Success, Part 1 – S. Redfield
- 2014 handout: Thinking Your Way to Success, Part 2 – S. Redfield