February 16-19, 2017 | Hilton Head Marriott, Hilton Head Island
- To download the 2017 convention brochure, click here.
The premiere professional development event of the year offers an impressive collection of educational presentations and experiences! Hundreds of school board members and other education leaders from across the state come together to:
- Learn from state and national experts on topics ranging from board governance to community engagement to innovations in classroom technology.
- Explore areas of particular interest in the diverse slate of breakout sessions.
- Connect with more than 70 education service and product vendors and gain a wealth of ideas and information.
- Enjoy performances by student musical groups from schools around the state.
To view photos of our 2016 Annual Convention, please click here.
Online registration is now open. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.
Conference registration fee: $275, non-members $475
Conference cancellation deadline: Jan 25
To prevent duplicate registrations, invoicing and credit card charges, SCSBA’s online conference registration process is as follows:
- school board members must register through their board secretary
- associate members must register through their company SCSBA contact
- all others may register by clicking on the “Register online” link that follows
Hilton Head Marriott
One Hotel Circle
Hilton Head, SC 29928
Hotel rate: $138 (includes breakfast for two)
Hotel deadline: Jan 25
Annual Convention hotel room block opens 12.8.16 at 8:30 a.m.
New Board Orientation agenda – DRAFT
For directions from your location, please click here (opens in new window).
All board members are asked to contact their board secretary to make hotel reservations. Appropriate forms must be completed and submitted to the Hilton Head Marriott.
For your convenience, listed below are a few hotels located near the Hilton Head Marriott.
Pre-conference New Board Orientation and Board Chair Workshop, featuring speakers, discussions and activities focused on key leadership issues. Participants will gain a wealth of perspectives on their roles and responsibilities and develop skills to enhance governance of their districts.
- Keynote and General Sessions presentations by motivational speakers as well as state and national experts on a wide variety of issues related to K-12 education.
- Breakout Sessions providing in-depth discussion on a diverse slate of topics.
- Trade Show.
- Student performance groups.
Our Trade Show will be held February 16-18, 2017 at the Hilton Head Marriott in Hilton Head, SC.
We are now accepting contracts for Exhibiting and Advertising. Please review the 2017 Prospectus which contains the online links to complete the contract and make online payments. Completing the online exhibitor contract serves as your Annual Convention registration.
- The Trade Show is currently sold out. If you would like to be on a waiting list, please contact Sandy Poole.
- To assist you with your convention program ads, here is a link to the ad specifications.
- SCSBA has a room block available for vendors at the Omni Hotel for $159, plus taxes and fees. Click here to make your online hotel reservation, Omni Hotel.
For more information contact Sandy Poole.
Board members will receive 20 points and 14 hours for attendance and participation.
2017 Annual Convention handouts
2016 Annual Convention handouts
- 2016 Annual Convention brochure
- New Board Orientation agenda
- Board Chair Workshop agenda
- Marian Wright Edelman: Children in the states: South Carolina
- Jack Gallagher: Insight into autism a father’s perspective
- Bob Davis: Ask your school district finance director
- Dr. DeeDee Washington: From STEM to STEAM
- Kyle Newton, Tom Wilson, Rick Bradshaw: It makes good cents – Winning a sales tax referendum
- Alan Walters: Disaster! How districts can prepare
- Dr. Mason Gary: No margin for error-saving our schools from borderline teachers
- Jane Turner: Teacher supply and demand issues
- Angie Rye, Pat Padgett, Dr. Lisa Allison: Think tank-Innovative, data-rich professional development model
- Dr. Randy Bridges: Transforming school boards…is there a need?
- Dr. Gary Burgess, Elder Alexis Pipkins, Annie McDaniel: Together-Setting the stage to improve academic achievement of historically underperforming student groups
- Ken Kiser: Creating a college, career and citizenship ready culture
- Debbie Elmore: SCSBA Legislative Update
- James Adams: Restorative Justice
- James Adams: Alternative Discipline
- Board Chair Workshop, Terry McCabe: Improving student achievement
- Board Chair Workshop, Katrina Spigner: Conflict-A catalyst for positive change
- Board Chair Workshop, Dr. J.R. Green: Effective leadership
2015 Annual Convention handouts (archive)
- 2015 convention program
- 2015 convention brochure
- Ed Massey: Improving student achievement
- Angela Maiers: How big is your brave?
- Angela Maiers: Disruptive collaboration
- Charles J. Boykin: School boards roles
- Charlotte McDavid: Designing a learning model
- David Duff and Andrea White: May school boards function as “morality police”?
- Dr. Rainey Knight: Reading success for all children
- Erica Bissell: Read to Succeed, summer reading camp success
- Jasmine Rogers Drain: A board member’s guide
- Trip DuBard: Connecting to private financial support
- Dr. Paul Krohne, Dr. Tiffany Richardson: Nothing could possible go wrong
- Dr. Darrell Johnson: Superintendent-board chair relationship
- Cathy Hazelwood: Ethics for elected officials
- Andrea White, Lindsay Thompson: What to do when it’s not just a bug
- Miranda Beard: “I’m Special” poem
2014 Annual Convention handouts (archive)
- 2014 convention program
- Kevin Baird: Preserving Local Community Control and the Common Core State Standards
- Kevin Baird: CCR Planning Guide
- Paul Krohne: Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
- James Johnson: Disruptive Demographics