February 15-18, 2018 | Hilton Head Marriott, Hilton Head Island
The premiere professional development event of the year offers an impressive collection of educational presentations and experiences! Hundreds of school board members and other education leaders from across the state come together to:
- Learn from state and national experts on topics ranging from board governance to community engagement to innovations in classroom technology.
- Explore areas of particular interest in the diverse slate of breakout sessions.
- Connect with more than 70 education service and product vendors and gain a wealth of ideas and information.
- Enjoy performances by student musical groups from schools around the state.
Breakout session proposals now being accepted
SCSBA is now accepting proposals for breakout session presentations at our 2018 annual convention. Download the RFP here.
Hilton Head Marriott, Hilton Head Island, SC
Pre-conference New Board Orientation and Board Chair Workshop, featuring speakers, discussions and activities focused on key leadership issues. Participants will gain a wealth of perspectives on their roles and responsibilities and develop skills to enhance governance of their districts.
- Keynote and General Sessions presentations by motivational speakers as well as state and national experts on a wide variety of issues related to K-12 education.
- Breakout Sessions providing in-depth discussion on a diverse slate of topics.
- Trade Show.
- Student performance groups.
Board members will receive 20 points and 14 hours for attendance and participation.
2017 Annual Convention handouts
- 2017 Annual Convention program
- 2017 Annual Convention brochure
- 2017 Board Chair Workshop agenda
- 2017 New Board Orientation agenda
- Dr. John Draper: Seven habits of collaborative school teachers
- Donald Andrews: Governance
- Jane Turner: The teacher shortage in SC
- Lisa Evans: Early Childhood
- Angela Bain: To blog or not to blog
- Murray Banks: Leadership for change in our schools
- Tom Barlow: New FLSA regulations
- Bick Halligan: Property taxes-debased, defogged and constricted
- Stacey Kaufman: Mandated reporting
- Ashley Story: Making sound board decisions
- Jaime Hembree, Julie Ruff, Matthew Velasquez: Closing the achievement gap
- Board Chair – Becky Bean: Role as a communicator
- New Board – David Loadholt: Budget planning
- New Board – David Loadholt: Financing education
2016 Annual Convention handouts
- 2016 Annual Convention brochure
- New Board Orientation agenda
- Board Chair Workshop agenda
- Marian Wright Edelman: Children in the states: South Carolina
- Jack Gallagher: Insight into autism a father’s perspective
- Bob Davis: Ask your school district finance director
- Dr. DeeDee Washington: From STEM to STEAM
- Kyle Newton, Tom Wilson, Rick Bradshaw: It makes good cents – Winning a sales tax referendum
- Alan Walters: Disaster! How districts can prepare
- Dr. Mason Gary: No margin for error-saving our schools from borderline teachers
- Jane Turner: Teacher supply and demand issues
- Angie Rye, Pat Padgett, Dr. Lisa Allison: Think tank-Innovative, data-rich professional development model
- Dr. Randy Bridges: Transforming school boards…is there a need?
- Dr. Gary Burgess, Elder Alexis Pipkins, Annie McDaniel: Together-Setting the stage to improve academic achievement of historically underperforming student groups
- Ken Kiser: Creating a college, career and citizenship ready culture
- Debbie Elmore: SCSBA Legislative Update
- James Adams: Restorative Justice
- James Adams: Alternative Discipline
- Board Chair Workshop, Terry McCabe: Improving student achievement
- Board Chair Workshop, Katrina Spigner: Conflict-A catalyst for positive change
- Board Chair Workshop, Dr. J.R. Green: Effective leadership
2015 Annual Convention handouts (archive)
- 2015 convention program
- 2015 convention brochure
- Ed Massey: Improving student achievement
- Angela Maiers: How big is your brave?
- Angela Maiers: Disruptive collaboration
- Charles J. Boykin: School boards roles
- Charlotte McDavid: Designing a learning model
- David Duff and Andrea White: May school boards function as “morality police”?
- Dr. Rainey Knight: Reading success for all children
- Erica Bissell: Read to Succeed, summer reading camp success
- Jasmine Rogers Drain: A board member’s guide
- Trip DuBard: Connecting to private financial support
- Dr. Paul Krohne, Dr. Tiffany Richardson: Nothing could possible go wrong
- Dr. Darrell Johnson: Superintendent-board chair relationship
- Cathy Hazelwood: Ethics for elected officials
- Andrea White, Lindsay Thompson: What to do when it’s not just a bug
- Miranda Beard: “I’m Special” poem
2014 Annual Convention handouts (archive)
- 2014 convention program
- Kevin Baird: Preserving Local Community Control and the Common Core State Standards
- Kevin Baird: CCR Planning Guide
- Paul Krohne: Board Member Roles and Responsibilities
- James Johnson: Disruptive Demographics